Friday 25 December 2009

Serves me right for putting all my eggs in one bastard. . .

Love that Dorothy Parker quote. Sums up my luck with men. Thank heavens Christmas is almost over. Poirot signals we are on the final furlong.

I was hoping I could re-brand this Christmas (in a Opal Fruit / Starburst way). My cunning plan was simply to view it as a treasured day off work. A day for a long walk in the sparking, wintry park, a roast chicken dinner shared with my animal menagerie, time spent with a good book. But, it didn't work out like that. Sadly. All day I have been haunted by a thought. By a loss. The thought is this: this time last year I was falling in love.

Coda
by Dorothy Parker

There's little in taking or giving,
There's little in water or wine;
This living, this living, this living
Was never a project of mine.
Oh, hard is the struggle, and sparse is
The gain of the one at the top,
For art is a form of catharsis,
And love is a permanent flop,
And work is the province of cattle,
And rest's for a clam in a shell,
So I'm thinking of throwing the battle-
Would you kindly direct me to hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment