Thursday 29 April 2010

My Left Foot

After three years teaching at the School of Hard Knocks I am still frequently astounded by the sheer, unbridled lunacy of our parents. I had a meeting with J'Lo's mum yesterday. J'Lo is hysterical - she is as mad as a box of frogs. I dearly love her to bits, but she is the laziest child I have ever met. It takes J'Lo 45 minutes to write the date and title on a piece of work. This means EVERY piece of work goes unfinished. Hell, most pieces of work are not even started. J'Lo misses games, PE, breaks, art, class trips, parties . . . all because she simply will not do any work within the lesson. I have tried every sanction in the book and every reward in the book. I simply cannot make that nitwit girl pick up a pencil.

Yesterday, for the 26th time, J'Lo's mum came in to discuss the problem. The meeting was straight after school at 4 o'clock. Mum was sporting pink flannel pyjamas and was eating a jumbo bag of pork scratchings. I thought that a bad sign. She balanced precariously on one of my teeny child's chairs (J'Lo's mum is the size of a small semi-detatched bungalow). Her numerous bags of Poundland shopping were scattered around her, arctic rolls and Findus Crispy Pancakes were slowly defrosting on my classroom floor.

Mum: Aye. I think I knaa what the problem is with our J'Lo, like. I knaa why she's not deeing any work. It's cos she's waiting for an appointment for the clinic. She's been waiting for months.

Miss Underscore: Oh really. What is the appointment for?

Mum: Physiotherapy

Miss Underscore: Physiotherapy for what?

Mum: Why, have yous not noticed, like? She's got flat feet.

Miss Underscore: Flat feet? (pause). Flat feet are why she hasn't written more than 10 words since Christmas? We have taught J'Lo to hold her pencil in her hand you know!


No comments:

Post a Comment