Thursday 23 July 2009

Home grown potatoes

I am rather proud of myself. I have successfully managed to grow my own Vivaldi salad potatoes. I grew them in black plastic sacks, it seemed a rather unorthodox approach. Last weekend I was ready to throw them all out, they were battered and yellowed by the torrential rains and very pitiful. But, when I poked underneath I discovered perfectly formed potatoes. A miracle.
I had some yesterday, crushed with butter and creme fraiche, and sprinkled with chives. They were divine with lamb chops.

Today I made some potato salad to accompany home cooked gammon.

Heavenly Potato Salad
  • potatoes (home grown not necessary)
  • equal amounts of mayo and creme fraiche (or greek yoghurt)
  • generous handful of mint, parsley or dill (dill is my favourite, but I used mint today)
  • snipped up spring onions
  • a few gherkins chopped
  • a splash of Tabasco
  • a little butter
  • a clove of crushed garlic (optional)
If you serve this on its own then it is lovely to add a little extra-crispy smoked, streaky bacon or some flaked smoked mackerel.


Method

Half (or quarter) and boil the potatoes for 15 minutes till soft.

Drain the potatoes and add a little butter to melt in and season.

Wait till potatoes cool a little and mix everything in. Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment