Tuesday 9 June 2009

Decisions Decisions. . . .

Oh dear. I am confused. I confided in the Deputy Head that I was looking round another school this afternoon. I like our DH (although she is sometimes referred to as 'the Rottweiller'). I just wanted to know what the process was, should I get an interview for the job. I stressed that I was only looking, and had not made a decision either way. I was hoping she would be discreet.

Later that afternoon I was summoned for an audience with Pompous Pilate. The Rottweiller was also there. There was a strange, tense atmosphere in the office. They quizzed me about the job I was applying for, and asked me why I was thinking of leaving. I felt decidedly uncomfortable. Pompous Pilate was rather brusque with me (it must be all that scowling I have been doing at him recently). I wasn't expecting him to beg, or weep at the thought of losing me, but he seemed simply irritated, put-out and petulent. I think his ego had been dented. He sees himself as some revolutionary, inspirational, future nobel-prize winning educator. How could anyone NOT want to work for him?

I am insecure about most things, but if there is one thing I do know it is that I am a very, very good teacher. I work incredibly hard, harder that the rest of the SOHK Stepfords, I love what I do and have a great relationship with my classes. I was hoping, at the very least, he would say he would be sorry to see me go. He didn't, and consequently my mind is now made up. Fuck him.

I visited the village school this afternoon. It is quaint, cosy, tiny and rather old fashioned. But, you know what, it doesn't have the buzz and energy that SOHK has. Life may be calmer there. I thought that was what I wanted. But I am not sure really. Will I be bored?

No comments:

Post a Comment