These are devilishly good. The frosting is not too sweet and is oozingly soft and creamy. Aesthetically they look best with a solitary violet petal perched on top. However, they are so much more satisfying with a generous sprinkle. Rose petals would also be lovely, I suspect.
Half cup self-raising flour
Half cup of plain flour
1 cup unrefined caster sugar
half teaspoon of vanilla extract
125g butter (half a standard packet)
half a cup of milk
Cream Cheese Frosting
200g of cream cheese
50 g of butter
teaspoon or so of lemon juice
2-3 cups of sifted icing sugar (the amount seems to vary every time I make them).
crystalised violet petals.
- beat the butter and sugar till smooth and creamy.
- whisk the eggs and add the milk and vanilla extract.
- add the egg mixture in stages, alternating with the flour.
- pour into muffin tins, lined with cake papers (mixture makes 6 cakes)
- bake at 170 for about 20 mins.
- beat everything together till the frosting is glossy and quite stiff.
- Ice the cakes when they are completely cool.
- Decorate with violet petals.