Thursday 12 March 2009

It takes a lot of money to look this cheap

I love all things feminine and frivolous. I don't mean whiskers on kittens or snowflakes on mittens, I mean make-up. I have been enchanted by vintage Hollywood glamour since I was a little girl: Vivien Leigh's creamy skin in Gone with the Wind; Louise Brooks' cap of lustrous black hair; Ava Gardener's decadent, scarlet lipstick. Oh, and of course, Audrey Hepburn's feline eyes in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

When I am feeling woebegone I find am hour browsing at Laura Mercier or Bobbi Brown will generally lift my spirits. My favourite toy ever (well, a joint first with my beloved Space Hopper) was my Girl's World. So, as a tribute to Vivien, Louise, Ava and Audrey here are my favourite cosmetic products.

1. Pure Grace perfume by Philosophy.
I have used this for years. It smells of washed white linen, soap and water, fresh clean snow. I am loyal to Pure Grace, I don't feel like me without it. I like having a perfume that is 'mine'. I hope ex-lovers will occasionally, unexpectedly smell my perfume and feel awash with unfathomable grief and longing. Or, if that is too much to hope for, at least remember me fondly.

2. Laura Mercier Caviar Eyeliner.
You know, the natural look is not for me. I like smokey, cat-like eyes. I love the retro look of liquid eyeliner but it is a devil to apply. This is creamy and when applied with a brush gives a gorgeous Audrey-esque affect.

3. Lancome Fatale Mascara
Incredibly dramatic.

4. Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base
An aromatic, cooling and soothing moisturiser. It has the texture and smell of a luscious orange-curd. Heavenly.

5. Benefit Thrrrob Blusher
An ethereal pink/ lilac shimmery blusher. Gives a healthy, flushing glow.

6. Philosophy Margarita Hot Salt Scrub
Philosophy scrubs are the best I have ever used, they give baby soft skin.

7. L'Occitane Shea Butter Body Lotion
Creamy, milky fresh moisturiser. Not cheap but incredibly soothing.

8. Maybelline Dream Matte Mouse foundation.
Good heavens. I have spent up to £30 on foundations. This is incredible value (£5) and is simply divine. It gives a matte, velvet finish yet feels as light as silk. The Ivory shade is pale and creamy.

9. OPI nail polish.
Incredible colour range and lasts for days. I particularly love the deep, almost black shades.

I would love, love, love to have number 10 as a lipstick. I cannot live without it. Yet I still have not found my lipstick soul-mate. I still have not found any kind of soul mate, but I am hopeful that in lipstick the concept is at least possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment